Thursday, November 29, 2007

ColoradoBennett

So, I'm sorry for ruining the hike that Ellery, Le Anne, Meagan, Ellynn, Jason, and others were taking on Tuesday when I called and told them that Adam had been in an accident. I was at home, the babysitters were here, and we were just waiting for Adam to arrive so that he and I could go to the Temple. I called once and he didn't answer, then he called back a few minutes later and he sounded shook up. He couldn't talk to me long because the tow truck just got there, but he said he'd been in an accident but was not hurt. I started rattling off a series of questions, to which he replied "I don't know." That really had me worried because Adam always "knows" and has the right plan of action. So he had to hang up quickly and I sent the babysitters home and sat around for an hour imagining all the horrible things he could be going through. (For example, I've heard that after accidents people will be standing in between the crashed cars talking things over, then another car will hit their car, causing said people to have their legs pinned between two cars and thus have their legs amputated. That is what I thought was happening to Adam.) So I started making phone calls in hopes that would make me feel better. But in reality I just worried a whole bunch of other people, needlessly. So Adam says he is fine, although I'd appreciate any help in convincing him to just go to the doctor any way because surely he must have double whiplash. He was going down the highway when traffic came to a complete stop. The truck in front of him pulled off to the shoulder (on the left) to avoid hitting the truck in front of him. Adam ended up hitting both trucks simultaneously. Then a Saturn behind Adam left 165 feet of skid marks on the road before hitting Adam. He did have his seat belt on, and has a bruise across his chest from it. His airbags did not go off, and the police officer said they should have during a collision at that speed. He ended up with a ticket for hitting the two trucks in front of him, and the guy behind him also got a ticket for hitting Adam. The officer told Adam that it was the worst section of road in all of Colorado as far as accidents go. When Adam asked why he thought that was the case, the officer said, "It's these Boulder drivers." Of course Adam thought that was hilarious and all too true. I picked up Adam at the car pound where we heard the stories and saw the remains of several cars which had seen fatal accidents. It was awful. But my Dad is loaning Adam his work van, and my truck still hasn't sold, so we have two cars and all is well. Might I also add that our house has not yet sold. We haven't even had one showing in the month that it has been on the market. But last night during our Young Women in Excellence program we sang "Lead Kindly Light." The words "Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see the distant scene--one step enough for me" hit me pretty hard. "I can do that," I thought. So as I type this total chaos has erupted in the house and I want to just keep on typing to avoid having to deal with it. Brooke, I was delighted to be able to read the email you posted. You are amazing and something about reading your daily tasks gives me the strength to deal with my own. Do you want a cat? I've decided I can no longer handle Sid Vicious and am currently looking for his next home, unbeknowns to my children and without much approval from my husband.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home