Tuesday, August 19, 2008

gifts from HIM


I've been such a LAM-O (word?) lately. I'm sorry. I'm especially sorry to my beebs and my husband and all those who have to be near me here in Washington. I feel like I'm just fighting and fighting against change and growth...,and the Lord just wants to strip me of all this pride and weakness that keeps me from serving Him. And I think it's working. At least I'm trying. I read this article tonight with Geof. over the phone titled "Finding Joy in Life", by Richard G. Scott. What a great article. How blessed we are to read inspired words from those who are near to our Savior and have experienced so much. I'm grateful for all those I come in contact with who can teach me a little more about life and open my eyes to what is most important.

"Sadness, disappointment, and severe challenge are events in life, not life itself. I do not minimize how hard some of these events are. They can extend over a long period of time, but they should not be allowed to become the confining center of everything you do. The Lord inspired Lehi to declare the fundamental truth, “Men are, that they might have joy.” That is a conditional statement: “they might have joy.” It is not conditional for the Lord. His intent is that each of us finds joy. It will not be conditional for you as you obey the commandments, have faith in the Master, and do the things that are necessary to have joy here on earth.

You are here on earth for a divine purpose. It is not to be endlessly entertained or to be constantly in full pursuit of pleasure. You are here to be tried, to prove yourself so that you can receive the additional blessings God has for you. The tempering effect of patience is required. Some blessings will be delivered here in this life; others will come beyond the veil. The Lord is intent on your personal growth and development. That progress is accelerated when you willingly allow Him to lead you through every growth experience you encounter, whether initially it be to your individual liking or not. When you trust in the Lord, when you are willing to let your heart and your mind be centered in His will, when you ask to be led by the Spirit to do His will, you are assured of the greatest happiness along the way and the most fulfilling attainment from this mortal experience. If you question everything you are asked to do, or dig in your heels at every unpleasant challenge, you make it harder for the Lord to bless you.

Your agency, the right to make choices, is not given so that you can get what you want. This divine gift is provided so that you will choose what your Father in Heaven wants for you. That way He can lead you to become all that He intends you to be. That path leads to glorious joy and happiness."

I have so much to be grateful for. SO MUCH!! What a wonderful family we have. I'm sitting in this big, comfortable home..., nothing to complain about, right (thanks Ellery and Le Anne!)??...and I have 3 of the most beautiful, healthy, funny kids ever. The Spirit told me tonight to enjoy being a mom. To have FUN with my kids. I'm going to pray for that tonight and hope that tomorrow is a good day.

We went to Portland today with my sister and fam (she's leaving tomorrow morning, by the way) and I couldn't help but appreciate and love that I was living in the Northwest!! How incredible it is here! SO much to offer. anyway, i'm talking, and should be sleeping. love to all of you.

~d-la

p.s. notice how excited Cole is in this pic?? He LOVES his Daddy and couldn't be in a better spot than on that motorcycle with him. (:

2 Comments:

At 10:11 AM , Blogger Ellynn said...

thank you for posting part of that article. i think we all need to be reminded of those things every once in a while. Geof. once told me on my mission when i was having a rough time to remember that when i felt discourage or sorrow, those were the painful strokes of the Masters hand shaping me into what He wants me to be. it's hard to remember that when we are in the middle of our trials.

 
At 11:31 AM , Blogger Meags said...

darla i love that talk as well, but i have to say i am a little scared to see what my trials are going to be. i know they are coming, but have no idea what they will be or when they will hit. the only thing we can do is be prepared spiritually. i love that you are here!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home