Sunday, June 29, 2008

Seattle Bennett living in Colorado

















so the hobby of beekeeping is starting to become quite expensive I started with 2 hives buying bees, suits, tools, and hives and then I thought to myself why not snag the two other wild hives we know of but it does give me a reason to use my dove tail jig and despite the 7 hours that I wasted making 4 out of 5 hive boxes the wrong size (reversed the jig) Friday night I now have nice shoe shelves/hidden hanger book shelves but Saturday in about 10 hours I knocked out 5 deep supers (where the queen lives and the bulk of the hive) and 5 shallow honey supers (where my honey is). so now I can get the 2 wild hives and still have an extra hive for a future capture. what Mindi didn't say was that when we opened our hives and started checking the honey we found that there was already 50-70 lbs and that was in less than a months worth of work for the bees so if things keep going at the same rate I could have between 150-200 lbs of honey with just the the 2 hives and by next year if I get all 4 preforming like my strong hive is I will have 600 lbs of honey or just over a hundred gallons. but there are 2 things you hear in beekeeping and that is "you get into it for the bees and out of it because of the honey" and the other is "next year will be better" so who knows but it is fun and Sierra and Kaia love it.

8 Comments:

At 8:45 PM , Blogger Jason said...

Sweet! Sounds like quite the operation. So when you guys moving on up to washington so we can get a family discount on honey?

 
At 11:10 PM , Blogger Brooke said...

Adam, that is awesome. I love it. You guys could be those cool roadside stand people. I want to buy some and bring it back with me from the family reunion for my food storage. Geof and I are pretty sure it's time.

 
At 6:36 AM , Blogger Mindi said...

Brooke, what do you mean you and Geof. are pretty sure it's time? Time to eat some honey, or time to start living off food storage? The Army sure doesn't make it easy for you to have a year supply for 5 people now does it?

 
At 7:17 AM , Blogger Ashlee said...

I don't know if I am out place but if you do have some extra honey I will buy some from you too. It is what makes my wheat bread so so good. I hope all is well out in CO. Good Luck in finding a place to live. Yipes that is coming up right? Mindi, I loved the foodstorage blog. See you at Island Park!

 
At 8:09 AM , Blogger Adam said...

sorry 600 lbs is about 55 gallons but yes honey will be up for sale Mindi and I are just going over labels I think it should be called "Adam's Sweet Nectar of Love" I have no clue why Mindi doesn't like that name

 
At 11:50 AM , Blogger Cory said...

i'll take two please

 
At 12:42 PM , Blogger Jane said...

Mindi, food storage yes, we are pretty much preparing for the end of the airline industry and the human to human spread of the bird flu virus. We should be breaking up into tribes any day now.

Brooke

 
At 4:59 PM , Blogger Ellynn said...

it's so true. i think we should all just move to missouri now and save ourselves the hand cart treck. you guys bring the honey, ashlee can bring the bread and i'll bring my haircutting scissors. what more could we need?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home