Sunday, July 11, 2010

The House is Still Once Again

This particular summer-family-fun-party started with Ellery and I leaving for CA. June 11th, to stay with Brooke Mike and kids. We had a fabulous time volunteering for the US Open at Pebble Beach. I embarrassed Brooke with my mad cash register skills. Hey, I never had a cash register of my own to play with like Courtney. Then there was the time they had Brooke and I run the ice cream cart on the stinking coldest day of the tournament. Some guys walked past making comments about ice cream sales.... I said something about them "not having any guts...real men etc." We got the sale in spite of Brooke's concern that we would get "fired." I cannot beat Mike for salesmanship, Mr. Warm and Fuzzy. No wonder Ellynn calls him Captain Buttercup! (Now it would be Major Buttercup) Mike was working the cash register and a man thanked him for serving his country. Mike had on no military identification. The guy said he could just tell. He and Brooke were kind of mystified. I watched Mike as another man approached his register. Mike looks him dead in the eye, "Yes sir! May I help you?" The guy starts to stutter....!!! Hmmmm

Brooke Mike and co. followed us home. Elly and Finn came and Jason arrived later on the 30th. Darla and kids drove up from visiting her family in CA. Mindi and kids drove here and Adam flew in reminiscent of those days when the kids and I would drive and Ellery would fly in to meet us. Josh and Ashley Ross and their 3 joined the party. It was so fun. We had pictures taken of all the grandkids. First time all 18 have been together. Geof. was the only one that was not able to make it and we did miss him!!! With the Rosses and our missionaries there were 38 of us. I wrote a friend that it was heaven with dirty windows.

WE HAVE PLAYED HARD!!! Dance Festival was awesome and worth every minute Meags spent on it! We went to the zoo, 5 hours worth. We went hiking, and swimming in every lake available. We watched fireworks. Had bar b ques, antique car shows, movies-at home, at the theater and out under the stars. Parks and parades and hauling hay. Had birthday parties, painted everyone's (including the boys) toe nails red white and blue for the 4th. Ate worms in dirt and played kick ball at the park. ( the kids crushed oreo cookies and pudding and gummy worms) There were games we worked out and ran and ate. It truly was "the feeding of the 5,000." After every dinner I would have this huge sense of relief that we had made it once again. We played with Stinchfields and Allens. Forest Park and the Rose Garden in a 100degree heat. Got lost with G'ma leading the way. Swam in Gerda's pool and .........Well, that gives you some idea.

While we had everyone here they had Harris was blessed and Sadie was baptized and confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints. You should have seen all those wonderful men surrounding those little kids!!! We are so blessed to have the power of the priesthood and the good men who hold it a part of our lives.

It is July 11th and Everyone has gone. Mindi and the kids left after sacrament meeting to start the trip back. We put Adam on the plane for home at 5:30. Meags Cory and the kids have left. Ellery and I have both had our Sunday afternoon nap. We needed it. The house is still and I will get used to the stillness once again. It is not a bad thing entirely but I miss them all with all my heart!!! Nothing means as much to me as my family. I am so grateful for the gospel and the sealing ordinances that bind us as a family together through the eternities!!! Adam and I were swimming across the lake and talking. One of the things he said he wanted to teach his kids was "If we fall, We Will Fall on the LORD'S Side!" I would always pray with my kids that we would "be strong in mind and body, spirit and testimony." Now I will add "and If we fall, we Will Fall on the Lord's Side!" What more could I ask than that as a mother and grandmother.

Love you all, Le Anne

5 Comments:

At 7:20 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Wow! That sounds like the most amazing few weeks ever. Wish we could've been there. Could you have handled 4 more?!?

 
At 11:48 AM , Blogger Cam said...

Wow. We're jealous. Our kids are driving us crazy for another visit to WA. Someday!

 
At 12:21 PM , Blogger LeAnne said...

We always have room for you!!!

 
At 9:06 PM , Blogger Joan said...

I loved the pictures! Sounds like a lot of fun!

 
At 9:54 AM , Blogger Cortney said...

Sounds fun! And I miss my cash register:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home