Friday, November 26, 2010

After Thanksgiving GRATITUDE post

(I could be wrong, but I think this pic was taken 2 Thanksgivings ago. Geof. got a bloody nose playing basketball and continued on..)


I had a clever idea of a little (or "yittle" in June language) thankful game we'd play before eating our Thanksgiving feast when Brind and Julia were here, but Cole misunderstood my request and (unintentionally) ruined it for me. And the empathetic, kind-hearted mom that I SHOULD have been, was gone at the moment. I was angry and irritated that my plan had failed and we didn't even discuss things we were thankful for at the dinner table (and I had to race out the door to class after my first serving).

Gratefully, we did have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving day yesterday, full of leftovers, movies, a family hike/walk (Richmond doesn't have the best "hiking"), playing "school" (Dayne's idea), making "thankful" hands..er, turkeys, and just lovin' each other. Good day.

However, a THANKFUL list is in order. Here it goes..in all its randomness:

I'm thankful for...

-trees (Geof. likes to make fun of me for this one because when we were engaged/dating/getting to know each other, I once told a group of people I was passionate about trees and he laughed at that, "Really?" he said, "Name some trees for me." And I sat there looking silly not knowing enough about trees to be "passionate" about them). I do really like trees, though

-music (is there anything as wonderful in this world as good music??)
-color (blindness-especially after I'd once had my sight-would not go over well with me)
-people (I used to enjoy people more than I do now-sad, I know-but I can always say that God puts the RIGHT people in my path to teach me what I need to learn)
-my children (I wouldn't come close to reaching perfection-which I'm still light years away from-without my sweet, sometimes challenging, funny, smart, and made for ME children)
-Geof. (sometimes I am struck dumb-not to be dramatic, but seriously!-at how wonderful he is. To be married to me is not an easy task and he and I were meant for each other.)
-feeling happy
-good food that makes me FEEL good after eating it. I'm learning more and more about what is best for MY body and I am grateful.
-Virginia
-Alaska
-Colorado
-California (the states I grew up in. They each hold a place in my heart)
-My parents (I can say that many of my good attributes came from them. I won't discuss the bad ones..because you can only blame yourself for who you are NOW)
-my siblings (we are unique and independent and strong people. I admire that about them)
-My extended family (I have a great relationship with my aunts and uncles and cousins and grandparents, surprisingly strong for our large number (85 first cousins!)
-My in-laws (Can that include sisters and brothers in law and all my cute nieces and nephews? It's kinda ridiculous how well we all get along and enjoy each other's company. Thank you!)
-TRUTH (it's especially nice to find it in unexpected places..like your children, or the person you judged wrongly..)
-beauty (I used to feel bad about wanting a beautiful home and beautiful clothes-of course, this can go too far-but am understanding that beauty is something GOD given and can create much peace and joy)
-The Internet (only sometimes, though. I also hate it) (;
-travel (and a husband who enjoys it as much as I do)
-my body (when it functions well..it's glorious!..wait, did that come out wrong?)
-REPENTANCE and overcoming sin
-The scriptures (truth in EXPECTED places is also a glorious thing)
-good books
-dancing!!
-money (sad that I'm admitting this? Okay, better stated-the MEANS to do what I like to do)
-peace (this comes when we TRY to be our best selves..peace is the outcome)
-honesty and integrity (I admire and love a truly REAL and GOOD person)

-Christ (when I get distracted or frustrated with people or the culture of my religion-I can turn to Him and know that HE is real and the infinite source of Truth)

Happy post Thanksgiving! Love you all.


2 Comments:

At 6:48 PM , Blogger Joan said...

How nice of you to share. I loved reading them!

 
At 12:10 AM , Blogger Meags said...

Great list D! And I'm grateful for you even when you make fun of me. ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home