Thursday, January 17, 2008

ColoradoBennett

Adam takes the laptop with him to work these days, so I'm internet deprived. When he got home today he said, "Look kids, mom's getting her fix" as I hurried to plug in the computer and get online.
We rushed out the door this morning (I've been waking the girls up at 8 a.m. now because they got into the bad habit of sleeping in late--I think Sierra could easily sleep till 11 a.m. almost every day--so that we can make places on time). We had joy school at Liesl's house and we were going to be right on time. Then I found my cell phone that I'd left in the truck the night before and there was a message from Liesl saying her husband had the flu and she was canceling joy school. Dang. So we rushed off to Sister Vigil's house to drop of my copy of LDSLiving magazine because she'd asked me if Mitt Romney and his wife have always been LDS. There is a wonderful article about Mitt this month and I highly recommend everyone to read it. Then we stopped by the library to see what time it opened, 10 a.m. and it was currently 9:30. I headed out to Costco, even though my precious list disappeared into thin air, hoping they let "executive" members in early like they do at Sam's. But they don't. So the kids and I stood out there by the door for 10 min. in 22 degree weather. The advantage of being the first in the store is that no one really gave me dirty looks for letting my girls run a muck. So that was good exercise and fryer chickens were buy one get one free, doesn't get much better than that. Then we hit the library for story time by Mr. Dana, who is one of the world's silliest story tellers. I stood at the back of the room (which was packed with all sorts of squealing kids and yuppie moms) with our laptop (the one that Adam doesn't use for work) and plugged into the library's WIFI. I'm sure I got plenty of dirty looks, but I didn't notice because I had to quick and trade some poorly performing stock options (don't worry Adam). At the end of story time, Mr. Dana busts out his banjo and asks for requests. Sierra starts screaming "I Am A Child of God." I don't think most people could understand what she was saying, but I did try to look for fear in people's eyes (like: "Did she just say "God" in a public library?!"). Mr. Dana hurried and started playing "Bingo" and all was well. It reminded me of stories from my mom about taking Jay to preschool. Jay did a lot of talking about "Heavenly Father" and other subjects he was learning about in Primary. I guess one of the teachers and another mom talked to my mom and told her that Jay was going to have to stop talking about his religion. I think mom pulled Jay out of there pretty fast. Has anyone else had a similar problem? How do you get a primary kid to not think they are free to discuss religion no matter where they are? I wish we didn't have to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home