Friday, August 13, 2010

Lori/Bennett/Brooke Bars

Happy Birthday, Brooke! For your birthday I'm going to give you a recipe you already have :) I thought I'd post the Lori Bars (homemade powerbar) recipe and then include all my optional add-ins. Then you can do it your own way and call them Brooke Bars (sounds more edible than Stinchfield Bars).

Lori Bars (Lori is the spin teacher/physical therapist from our gym, btw)

1 TB butter
1 c pecans, chopped
1 c almonds, chopped
2/3 c coconut, shredded
1 1/4 c rolled oats
1 1/2 c rice crispies
1 c honey
1/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 TB cocoa
1 tsp vanilla

Grease 13x9 with butter. On rimmed baking sheet toast pecan, almonds and coconut for 10 min or until coconut is browned. Toss a few times along the way. In large bowl, mix toasted nuts, coconut, oats & cereal. Combine honey, sugar, salt, cocoa & vanilla in small saucepan over med. heat & stir constantly until it comes to a boil & thickens ~ 4 min. Pour syrup mix over dry mix and stir, spread into pan and cool. Cut with pizza cutter.

I change my Bennett Bars each time I make them. First, I always double the recipe. I cut out the sugar and reduced the honey, then added 1 c water to replace that liquid. I've replaced the rice crispies with brown rice flour and I add walnuts & cashews (mixed in the food processor until they become "butter"). I love chia seeds and ground flax seeds so I always add 1/2 c of each if I have them on hand. Someday I want to try a raisin/cinnamon version.

I found a great website, http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php , where you can just enter your ingred. and portion size and they'll tell you all the nutrition info. If anyone knows how I can figure out the cost of each portion please let me know. I'm feeding these to Ruby right now b/c the Dr. says I need to fatten her up. She hates the other "healthy fats" (that's for you Ellynn) that I try to feed her, but she loves Bennett Bars.


{this batch turned out great, if I didn't hate the post office so much I'd mail them to you, as you can see I'm really bad at making straight lines}


3 Comments:

At 5:45 PM , Blogger Brooke said...

Thank you Min!!!! I love you!

 
At 7:19 PM , Blogger Darla said...

Happy birthday, Dear Brookie! Mmmm..those bars look DELISH! I should have made some today. Cole and Dayne are running a one miler in the morning.

 
At 11:07 PM , Blogger Ellynn said...

Mindi I'm so excited to make those! Your changes intimidate me so I'll try the original first and then try your new and improved recipe. Love those healthy fats!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home