Monday, September 06, 2010

Hood to Coast 2010

Hood To Coast

Last weekend Dave and I ran Hood to Coast. It was AWESOME!!! I had so much fun, I kind of wish I could run a relay every month. Adina had to work and there was a girl and a guy spot available on a family team from Dave's ward. So... Dave called me in May and asked if I would be interested. Um... YES! I have wanted to run HTC for nigh on 10 or more years now. However, until the last couple of years I have felt incapable. Meags, Dave, Adina, and Paige, have been on a team together the past few years but HTC is based on a lottery and they didn't make it in this year. Meags ran on another team and we spent the day and night texting each other with times, encouragement, and locations. Mike, Ellynn, and Beth, texted me along the way as well. I felt very loved.

Which brings me to my van- I loved them, they were so welcoming and fun and Dave was the best brother/support I could have asked for. He always saw me off, cheered me along the way, and was there with a cold water bottle when I made it across the finish line. The rest of the team was awesome as well. Nothing quite lifts your spirits like seeing Shamu swimming along down the road with yelling cheering and car honking to boot. It was a great experience and I can only imagine how great it would be with all family. The only sad part was knowing that Adina and Mike weren't running. We missed you!

I have a pre-dawn picture of Dave from the St. George Marathon as well. It looks like it needs to be a tradition.

Could you pick a more gorgeous place to start a race?

VAN #1- Me, Dallas, Pete, Keith, Kim, and Dave

Decorating the van- look at Dave's poor, cold toes. They weren't cold until I mentioned it- oops!

We were the C.O.W.S., a long standing family name for the team we joined- Catch Our Wind Suckers.

One leg down. I ran a 7:53 for 3.93 miles. I'm kind of mad at myself because I thought I had to run 4.93 so I was kind of pacing myself. Oh well, sub 8 (going all down hill of course), I'll take it. I was so happy I brought those baggy, black pants for p.j.s. I wore them the whole race over my shorts. I would have frozen to death.

Before or after my middle leg. I ran 9:10 pace for 7.25. This was the hardest, moderate hills and pitch black. My head lamp didn't aim down, I'll need to remember that in the future.

Dave didn't like this picture, I was just very jealous of his calf muscles.

As embarrassing as this horrible picture is, this was after I finished my last leg and I was thrilled. I did 6.08 at an 8:51 pace. Not too bad, for me, especially after 2 1/2 hours of sleep.

This was my ending picture after my last leg until Adina showed me the one above that Dave took. I had to choose not to be vain.

Both vans after we finished down on the beach.

Dave and I with our finishing medals. Thanks Dave! Thanks Mike and mom for watching for our kids (Sawyer came up with me and stayed with G'ma and Wil and Jackson). By the by, I owe Dave a fleece without burn holes (St. George) and a new flasher. I would say earplugs and washcloths as well but I washed them all and will get them back to you...someday!

2 Comments:

At 8:29 PM , Blogger Joan said...

That looks like so much fun. I'm so jealous!

 
At 9:11 PM , Blogger Mindi said...

Awesome Brooke! I'm very impressed by your times/distance, some day I hope to be so strong/fast/able to do fun stuff with minimal sleep.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home