Monday, December 13, 2010

ColoradoBennetts

Remember Thanksgiving? Way back 19 days ago. I've been meaning to post since then. Time is rolling too quickly for me. Most of you have heard this story, but I want to preserve it for posterity's sake. Thanksgiving was the day that Facebook saved our lives. Er, I mean, Mike saved us from getting really sick that day by responding to my ignorant Facebook post. Normally, we would spend Thanksgiving Day at the Log House, where someone experienced and knowledgeable about food safety would prepare the blessed turkey. But Adam got pneumonia and we were uninvited (in the nicest way possible). So with his dangerously limited lung capacity, he found the strength to go buy us a frozen turkey the night before the big day. He suggested that I put it in the roaster oven overnight @ 200 to let it thaw. I didn't know any better, so I did. Lucky for us the next morning I decided to google how to cook a turkey and found warnings all over about how you never, never, never thaw a turkey in such a manner. So I blab about it on Facebook, still thinking that once you turn up the heat to 350 and cook the bird for 3 hours all problems go away. Fortunately for us we were spared the wrath of stapholococcus aureus because Mike told Brooke to call us and insist that we could not eat our turkey. Thanks again, Mike!




So after burning a braided loaf of bread and deciding to throw out the turkey, I was in emotional meltdown mode. Just as I was setting the table (everything was ready, I'd borrowed some turkey from Gram and Pop next door, the next batch of bread turned out perfectly) Adam comes in to say he is going to Wal-Mart to buy another turkey. Unbeknowns to me, he was on the phone with Le Anne and I started yelling at him. I just wanted him and the kids to sit down and eat what was surviving of this disaster of a meal. And, actually, it wasn't that bad. That was our Thanksgiving.

I had Lasik on Friday. Adam was able to come home late Thursday night and be home for the weekend. The surgery was really bizarre, but also really fast. You can actually smell the laser burning the cells in your eye, and the suction they use to make the cuts leave "Lasik hickies" on the whites of your eyes. I've had to put so many drops in my eyes in the last few days (4 different kinds, most every one or two hours) that I constantly have a strange taste in the back of my mouth. But I can see!!! 20/15
I've probably hindered my recovery by immersing myself in the Hunger Games series. The day after surgery I asked the Dr. at the follow up appointment if it was ok to read. She says, "Sure, as long as you are not reading for 3 hours strait or anything." That night around 11 p.m. I realize I've been reading for well over 3 hours. Whoops. Oh, and thanks again to Mike for insisting (on Facebook) that I read these books :).


I did a craft fair with my friends the first weekend in Dec. I made this little "quilted purse pockets" and only sold one, to my sister, Grace. So they will now be Christmas and birthday gifts for the next several years.


I did sell a lot of Adam's honey, though. I thought I'd post of few pics of some of the cute stuff my friends made. The baby quilts are amazing.


And a few more pics from our morning routine, just for fun. I have from about 6:45 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. to turn this:
into this:
Then turn around and start the whole process over again with these little cuties:

5 Comments:

At 7:31 PM , Blogger Ellynn said...

I didn't know you got Lasik! How exciting! Poor Adam look like death in that picture. The kids are adorable as always and I'm pretty sure I could eat Ruby up in that last pic. What a doll! And I would buy one pf your quilt square purses. They are beautiful! And how can I get my hands on some of that honey?!

 
At 7:48 PM , Blogger Darla said...

What great pics, Mindi! I'm sorry you didn't sell any of those purses (but am secretly..or not so secretly, happy that I (might) get one!). Those kids of yours...!! I miss them!

 
At 7:02 PM , Blogger Joan said...

What a memorable thanksgiving! Your family is so cute. I loved your purses as well. What a lot of work!

 
At 3:33 PM , Blogger Brooke said...

Min,

I love the purses. Very cute, blame it on the economy! I am indeed glad you did not eat that turkey and I Love the morning pics. Ruby and Tristan are darling and I just want to photo shop Sadie into the pic with the girls. She is the WORST in the morning. They look so happy and fresh later though. Give those girls kisses for me!

 
At 9:53 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

I'm glad you didn't die on Thanksgiving! I love the pictures of your girls in the morning.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home