Thursday, May 18, 2006

ColoradoBennett

I can't help but join the band wagon about the Da Vinci code. Adam and I listened to the book on cd a year or so ago and really enjoyed it. I thought it was an exciting novel and I'd love to see the movie. But I've been watching/listening to a few things on BYUTV and there are a few really good points about why this is such a dangerous kind of novel. A Humanities professor from UVSC gave a great lecture on the "what-we-know-about-Leonardo" and why Dan Brown has painted a false picture of him. Then the American Family Association just sent me an email with the following info: "The book and movie make several false claims: That Jesus and Mary Magdalene were man and wife. That the New Testament is false testimony. That there were 80 gospel accounts of Christ’s life. That the Roman emperor Constantine gave us the New Testament. That the divinity of Jesus is an invention of fourth-century church leaders at the Council of Nicea. While the book and movie claim to be based on fact, they clearly are not. Tragically many people, even Christians, will go away believing that the book and movie are factual." Through all of this Adam keeps telling me, "It's just a novel!" and that is true, but it is so easy to believe it is fact. I went through a phase where I really wanted to know if Jesus Christ was married. Adam told me it said just that in "Jesus the Christ" so I read it as fast as I could searching for that information (turns out James E. said nothing of the sort and once again Adam was just teasing me). Then I heard a cd from some LDS guys who pretty much said who knows if He was married or not, the scriptures and our prophets are silent on the subject therefore it is not something we need to know. And that's good enough for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home