Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Kaia's Toe

So the pictures you are going to view as you scroll down will/may make you sick. So last night Kaia was in the back of my trailer and Sierra had removed the pins that held the tailgate up. Kaia ran up to the tailgate and had planned on it stopping her but instead dropped like a rock and she went head over hills right behind it I was a few feet away and immediately picked up Kaia as she was grabbing at what I thought was a hurt ankle but as I relieved she was bleeding I looked down to see part of her toe nail and her bone sticking out much like how the Doctor has her toe in the first picture. So after having Miguel, my friend who lives with us, get Kai's car seat in the in the truck and trying to get a hold of Mindi who was at RS (we are in the middle of changing insurance and I was not sure who was insuring us at this time) I finally got Kaia's foot wrapped up, her toe had gone white from bleeding out to dark grey like the third and fifth picture show I was really starting to worry which is not like me as you all know but i new that her flesh had good possibility of dieing if it wasn't getting circulation. After getting to the hospital we went straight through the ER they had the same worries as I did about the flesh dieing and the doctor came in right she looked at the foot and said it doesn't look good but that we would put Kaia under and then clean up the area sew the toe back together and see if she can get it to mend. I called Mindi and asked her to get someone down right away to help me give her a blessing. In the meantime I cleaned Kaia up and Mindi called me back and let me know that our friend Marcus was on the way. I had Kaia talk with Mindi and I herd the conversation which went as follows
Mindi: Hi Kaia
Kaia: Hi Mom
Mindi: How are you feeling?
Kaia: Like crap
and then Kaia start to cry
It was pretty sad she hurt so bad she just sat in my arms and had me hold her. the doctor came in and went over putting her under, the risk and the benefits, and then said they would be in in a few minutes to start the procedure. Just then Marcus showed up and we were able to give her a blessing then they made him leave. Our bishop showed up and was able to say hi before they shut the door and put a needle in Kaia's leg to put her under they had a little heart rate and oxygen monitor and blood pressure monitor on her and as she went out they put on the oxygen mask she stayed out the entire process and started coming back as they sewed back on her toe nail she couldn't feel it but she was making moaning signs and licking the inside of the oxygen mask about 5 min's after everything was sewn up she stopped moaning and just went sound asleep bishop came back in the room and after about a half hour she woke up, didn't complain of any pains, and asked bishop where his big dog is (he has a big dog and a little dog but our family likes big dogs) she sat there in my arms for another half hour before the doctors felt confident with her vital levels and we got to go home at about 12:30
So it was fun and exciting but I will tell you this as I sat in the ER wondering if she was going to loose her toe and things looking grim and wondering who is going to be home and can come down to give my child a blessing (our ward is small and while we have several good people we have few Melchizedek Priesthood holders) It gave me good reason thank God for the priesthood and encourage anyone who is able to hold the priesthood and or is working on getting there to get there faster. I know that I witnessed a miracle and that power of the priesthood is very real and an amazing blessing and I am very grateful for other worthy members of the priesthood who exercise the priesthood in serving others.
Love you all
Adam

2 Comments:

At 7:32 AM , Blogger Darla said...

Oh Kaia!! Poor thing! I did almost throw up with that first pic but I'm sure it was a lot harder on poor Kai kai. Does she have a ton of stitches? How long will it take to heal? Can she walk?? Sorry you guys!

 
At 10:06 AM , Blogger Chelsea Covington said...

Yeah, that is definately intense. My toes hurt right now, all of them. Sounds like she was pretty brave! Poor thing...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home