Saturday, August 23, 2008

Trip to the Beach and Lessons Learned
So today was supposed to be a nice lazy day but I made the mistake of thinking that we had taken the dogs out later than we actually did last night and this morning Joe had an accident in his crate. I hurried and took Cody out to tinkle but didn't let him poop in my anxiety over getting Joe cleaned up and so... while I was bathing Joe, Cody pooped in his crate. I swear, they must have known they were finally getting back on my good side after a month of spending almost all of my free thinking time wondering if I could talk the girls into selling them on Craig's List (I know, I am a bad AND stupid person). But it was all my fault and I couldn't blame them too much. They have been really good and now that they are getting used to the house they aren't barking nearly as much as they were. There was only one way to go really. Anyway, I had given Cody a trim last night and then Sawyer was to ornery for me to do Joe so today I bathed both dogs, cleaned their crates, and trimmed Joe all up. They are very handsome boys and I now know that as badly as I want to sleep in on a Saturday, or let Jane sleep in, if they sound like they are getting restless they need to go out. Bark or no bark.

After the grossness of doggie doo doo I had to take a shower and Ellyn tried to climb in fully dressed and Sawyer wanted me and so the three of us took a shower. Hence the cute Sawyer pictures. From there we packed a lunch and went to the beach.

Next lesson learned. Ellyn can run very fast if she wants to get to the water AND she has no issues sitting down as huge waves come rushing toward her. I was able to get to her on the first two attempts, one with wet cuffs for both of us and then I was holding Sawyer and Ellyn made a dash. Thankfully I was able to grab Juliet (Ellyn's harness) and I could feel the force sucking on her. Not that I think she would have been swept away but as I am reaching for her she plops right down, laughing her little laugh and the wave sweeps right up to her chest and up to just below my knees. Next lesson, bring an entire change of clothing for Ellyn or picnic to the beach comes abruptly to an end.

I am so happy we live out in Carmel Valley versus right in Monterey. Every day it is sunny and warm out here, not hot, warm. Almost any day that we drive into Monterey it is overcast and about 8-10 degrees cooler. The sun is good for my psyche. So I have discovered that beach days are just like they are on the Oregon Coast, bundled up in fleeces and pants or capris. I brought plenty of fleeces for the girls and Sawyer but I wish I would have brought some more warm things for me. Between Ellyn and Sawyer my clothes don't stay clean very long. I could always go buy more, which, if Mike is reading this he is rolling his eyes and saying "Go to the store Woman." But... I am too cheap when I know I have plenty on their way. So it's jean jacket or Nike fleece. They are both dirty now even as I write.

I have broken down and turned our heater on at night. I was refusing because it is summer dang it. But... we were all going to bed with fleeces on and long shirts and pants and then the night I pulled mine and Sawyer's hoods on over our heads I cracked. Love the heater.

2 Comments:

At 12:32 PM , Blogger Darla said...

I want to see pics Brooke!!

 
At 9:05 AM , Blogger Ellynn said...

hoods in california? and windy at the beach? man life sucks! hehe

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home