Thursday, January 12, 2006

My $0.02

I am probably the last person in the world anyone wants to take parenting advice from but I'll back up Mindi and Brooke about the prayer issue. I have not alway been good at having my family read scriptures and pray together. Monica and I have been talking a lot lately about raising the bar in our own house and for about 3 weeks now we have read the Book of Mormon every night with our kids. We each say our prayers out loud every night before we leave their room. There is something about listening to each member of our small family praying for each other and listening to how we each feel blessed and what some of our individual needs are.
Monica and I were just talking a few days ago how the girls aren't fighting as much as they used to. Don't get me wrong, they still fight and I still get really frusterated with them but it is not like it was. I have had a quote in my scriptures since I was in Seminary that fits the situation perfectly:

President Ezra Taft Benson declared:
“There is a power in the book which will begin to flow into your lives the moment you begin a serious study of the book. You will find greater power to resist temptation. You will find the power to avoid deception. You will find the power to stay on the strait and narrow path. The scriptures are called ‘the words of life’ (D&C 84:85), and nowhere is that more true than it is of the Book of Mormon. When you begin to hunger and thirst after those words, you will find life in greater and greater abundance. … [You will also enjoy] increased love and harmony in the home, greater respect between parent and child, [and] increased spirituality and righteousness.”
“These promises,” President Benson assured, “are not idle promises, but exactly what the Prophet Joseph Smith meant when he said the Book of Mormon will help us draw nearer to God” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1986, 6; or Ensign, Nov. 1986, 7).

Ok. I don't know if that made any sense but it is what we've been talking about at home.
I think a lot of it has come from Jordan moving in with us. In a literal sense my family is being watched. It is sad that it came down to that for us to make changes but at least we're trying.

We hope you are all doing well in the North West with all the water we keep hearing about.
Blog yall later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home