Friday, February 17, 2006

ColoradoBennett

Is Ellynn home yet? I feel terrible that we couldn't call her cell phone in Finland. Adam really did try fighting with the phone company to let us through. Brooke, get Ellynn bloggin' asap.
Our Valentine's Day was a dream come true for Sierra, much like Jackson. We were in charge of the V-day party for Joy School and that was crazy fun. Then we had a V-day party for FHE. Even Muhammad and Ali caught the spirit. They bought a rose for both Adam and I, a box of chocolates for me, and cute stuffed animals for the girls. Then we made valentine cards and since Muhammad doesn't have a romantic interest he wrote Saudi Arabia and his home town on his heart shaped card. Very funny.
So if you are ever shopping for health insurance, please don't go with Mid-West Life Insurance. Adam and I decided about a year ago to switch over to them because we were paying about $550 per month for the family for health insurance. We saved about $120 a month by making the switch and were feeling pretty smart. We knew that we didn't have maternity coverage right away, but the broker told us if we got pregnant we could just sign me up for another insurance for the duration of the pregnancy and all would be well. Or if we didn't get pregnant for 13 months from signing up, we would then be covered. What he didn't tell us was that we would have had to have signed up for a maternity rider from the get go and be paying into that inorder to get coverage. So blah blah blah and lie lie lie, here were are pregnant with no maternity unless there is a complication. I got turned down by another insurance because of my "pre-existing condition", and a friend said I should call her broker. This guy felt really sorry for me, told me there was no hope of getting coverage at this point, and that as soon as I have the baby the family needs to get new insurance as fast as we can. So I did a search online for our options and found something called Maternity Card. This company said they would talk down doctor, lab, and hospital bills and boasted a 60% savings. I fell for their spiel hook line and sinker, and signed up for a 12 month contract. After weeks of trying to get things figured out with these jokers, I realized I'd been lied to again. They don't cover doctor's appointments (which run about $3,000 for 7 months of visits), but they still insist that they can help with lab and hospital bills and get us a discount at the dentist. I'm just not willing to get a $14,000 bill from the hospital and find out that they can't really talk it down to $1,000 like they promised. So I talked Adam into paying the flat fee for the midwife (ultrasounds, labs, visits and delivery are $3,000) and we'll have sweet little Josephine at home (something I've always wanted to do--oh and Adam won't let me name the baby Josephine, nor do we know it is a girl, but that is what I call him or her). A few years ago a guy bore his testimony in church about how he made his wife have the baby at home because he didn't want to pay the outragous hospital bill, I guess we've turned into that guy. But I'm all for it. I'm going to go to the same midwife my mom used for Jay and Grace, a lady Adam calls "Mother Earth".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home