Saturday, March 22, 2008

Bavaria-Joanie

My very best, most favorite Book of Mormon experience took place during the Book of Mormon challenge given by Pres. Hinckley. We were late starting, we were reading the BoM as a family but it was right in the middle of our move to Washington and Mike leaving for Korea and we didn't hear about it right away. Sadie was not even three and a half, Ellyn was a year and a half and Mike was not there to help keep kids calm. I thought I would give it a shot but I knew we would have to read alot and I knew that many nights even a few verses were a challenge. It was amazing though, as the nights went on my children settled down and stayed quiet so willingly. They would tell me it was okay to read more. Sadie and Jane would ask questions about things that I had no idea they had even picked up. I loved doing this as an extended family as well. Reading the experiences of siblings and cousins on this blog kept me motivated and kept me in a more spiritual frame of mind throughout the day as they shared their testimonies of the Book of Mormon. I know the Lord blessed us in our endeavor and I know that if I had enough faith and strength we could do it again. We are reading the Book of Mormon again and it has been a much slower process. We say our nightly family prayers before we read because many nights Sawyer or Ellyn are in meltdown mode before too long. I miss the continuity of getting so much in one sitting, following the story or the concept being taught. But I do know that my children know that it is an essential part of our day. They love the stories and love learning about it in class. The two oldest are discussing it with me every week after church. I know that when I really concentrate on what I'm reading (I have a very bad habit of being able to read and have my mind in a million other directions) my life is blessed, I am more confident in the decisions I am making as a wife and a mother. It is frustrating to me because I don't always study the scriptures like I'm supposed to and yet I know what a strength and a blessing they can be in my life. I do have a testimony of the tremendous blessing the Book of Mormon is to each of us. I know it is true and a testament of our Savior. I know that through reading the Book of Mormon I have a greater desire to put aside the things of the world and live a more spiritually in tune life. I hope to put greater commitment into reading the BoM again.

I don't know if that is what you need (I can't remember exactly and I started writing before I checked again) but those are some of my thoughts. I hope your lesson goes well. I can't help but think that it will with all of the preparation you have done- that's amazing- plus you're amazing too!

Happy Easter to everyone!! We have had four inches of snow every morning for the past three days. Cory, I am so excited about my new macbook I can't even tell you. It does EVERYTHING I want to do. It is awesome. I miss you all tremendously.

Darla, the girls' spring break starts the 3rd. Mike leaves the 30th and I thought some nice warm southern weather and a batch of cousins would keep them happy and maybe you would be happy too? What do you think? I would do a hop and then rent a car.

2 Comments:

At 6:54 PM , Blogger Darla said...

yah!! So..., the 3rd of April? I hope Geof. can get those days off before he has to go in for training. Just call us! (:

 
At 10:54 AM , Blogger Cory said...

You've got a macbook now? I'd tell you that I don't care but i'm actually typing this through tears of jealously and a hazy, hot, fog of covet-ness which is surrounding me.

By the way, the thing about reading while your mind wanders... story of my life. I've read entire pages, sometimes more before I realize I have no idea what happens. Even during audiobooks, I'll miss half a chapter while thinking about somewhere else. And sometimes, when Meagan is talking...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home