Friday, September 26, 2008

Sayonara Dust Bowl

Yes, I am in Kuwait and finally out of that fledgling...something. It looks like we are stuck here for several days but the place has improved with a really nice USO, wireless internet, hot showers, nice gym etc. In fact, it would not break my heart to get stuck here until OCT 1 whereupon I would receive credit for another month deployed and $1000. But, Murphy will probably have me on a plane at 2300 on SEP 30.

I want to thank Taylor and everyone else for the prayers. I firmly believe they really did work. Despite the many security improvements that occurred in the last year, my unit was often sent to the worst areas in the country. By Iraqis, we were known as the "dirty squad"; not because we disobeyed international law or razed villages but because we were sent in to go after the scum. So for at least the first half year of the deployment, your prayers were much required. I really felt protected and guided.

For the last few months, the internet in Iraq has been blocked for blogs. So I have been unable to view the pictures. I was able to see text because of the RSS feed but it has been very nice to go through and see all the new kids-all beautiful-with their parents.

My time on staff was much busier than I supposed. I had several opportunities to still go out and do stuff. The pics I posted are from my last day when the current H Company commander let me take my vehicles back out for a day. It was a lot of fun and I forgot how much I missed being out there and running things.

I am highly anticipating Brooke and Sawyer's visit to Germany here next week, I really appreciate Mom taking the time in the middle of the disaster to let it happen. After that, it is back to bachelorhood until the end of November. I will spend most that time clearing or studying for the GRE which I will take in early December. And then after my month home with the family for Christmas, it is back to bachelor life again at Fort Eustis, VA where I will go to the Simulation Officers course ofr six weeks. Some time after that, providing I get accepted to the program at NPS, I will start grad school. We will see. If that doesn't happen, I do not know what they would do with me at Monterey so it would probably mean another move. So once again, we ask for your prayers.

Brooke and her parent are working hard to get the house put together. I don't think I could have planned this better:-) No, I would much rather have the family in Germany waiting one me but it has been the right thing to do for little Elly who I understand is getting well taken care of. I guess I will put up with a few weeks of bachelor life for that. Apparently Leanne has figure out how to store my exploding board game collection and give Sawyer his own place to sleep..so kudos and many thanks to her and her work ethic. Oh yeah and some props to Ellery I guess too:-)

Well I expect a plethora of postings now with pictures! Blog away!

Mike

5 Comments:

At 7:29 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Great to hear from you Mike. It scares me when you talk about the dangerous areas you were in.

What is the "disaster" your mom was in the middle of?

Good luck in the coming months and with the GRE. Tony is preparing to take it as well. Not fun!

 
At 5:04 PM , Blogger Ellynn said...

Mike we are so excited to get you back! i realize that it will still be several months before we get to see you but at least you'll get brookie and your baby next week and your girls kind of soon! i'll be praying things work out so you can stay in monterey.. unless the other move would put you at Ft. Lewis. i don't know what those chances are but...

 
At 4:23 PM , Blogger Mindi said...

Wow Mike, it is great to hear from you. Glad to hear that you could feel our prayers. Best of luck with that GRE.

 
At 9:47 AM , Blogger Jacki said...

I'm so very excited that you are coming home safe and sound! Can't wait for a visit. Love you!

 
At 10:23 AM , Blogger Meags said...

mike you are always in our prayers and will continue to be. wil and hazel never forget to bless uncle mike first! wait in hazel's prayers you come right after rob. he must be doing some really important work on the other side. you and brooke are the most amazing people i know. i am grateful that their are selfless couples like you serving our country! lots of love...me

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home