Wednesday, September 09, 2009

VA, currently



The weather's cooled down (thank goodness) and we've got ants. I swear, one minute I'm washing dishes, look over at the counter, squish a few ants, rinse my fingers under the water, look over to the counter again, and 5 more ants are teetering (word?) along. Oh, what to do?! We also have roaches, which our landlord insists are "water bugs". I've never seen these huge disgusting things NEAR water.., but either way, I don't care-I want them OUT. I don't dare walk around when it's dark for fear that I'll step on one.
Cole started first grade (no pics this year, folks) and continues to have his love/hate relationship with school. He doesn't have any of his friends from kindergarten in his class. When I told him he'd make new friends soon, he said, "They're all baby kids, mom. I won't ever be friends with them.". Hm..what do you say to that? I tried to talk to him before school about finding the kid in class that seems the most lonely and being HIS friend. We'll see how that goes. My mom did instill that invaluable lesson in all of us; to look out for the underdog.
I started school on August 24th-ish, I believe. I'm just attending the local community college taking Math (on campus) and an Intro. to Early Childhood Development (online). So far I love my math class (how often do you hear that??) and wish my intro. to Early Education was easier and less time consuming. We'll see though..I'm sure over time it'll get easier. I'm always stressed out at the beginning.
Geof. passed his Appraisal Exam (I'm sure there's a better name for it) and did great (it's ONLY pass or fail, I believe). He said in the elevator there were some other guys about to take the same test and said it was their 2nd or 3rd time doing it. Good for Geof.! He always does well testing. Smarty pants. He's out on a bike ride by himself, right now. He's been AMAZING about watching the kids and giving me my breaks. I feel very blessed (does that sound cliche, or what??) to have him. He really does take care of me and my mental health. (;
We recently got our bikes in good repair and have been doing as much bike riding as Richmond allows (there's NO sidewalks here). Yes, we're the crazy family of 5 trying to cross the busy streets at 5pm rush hour traffic. Don't hit us! Cole's amazing and I really want to get him into some biking competitions, however they're all up in Northern VA and we only have one car and are limited (obviously) on how often we can use it.
Dayne and June are my little girls at home. It's especially nice to have Dayne to myself when June's taking naps. Those middle children definately feel some neglect (maybe not Geof. and Meagan/high maintenance children!). Dayne loves to read, eat, watch me do my make-up, get dressed, paint toe nails, follow me around the house asking me what I'm doing...you know, girl stuff. (;
June has the loudest voice imaginable. I'm constantly telling her to "hush!" We went to see "UP" as a family last week and I had to take her out repeatedly. She wasn't crying or mad, just excited about the movie. "Yook, Mommy, yook!!", as she points to all the different characters (dogs) in the movie. translation: "Look mommy, look!".
We love our June but wow, is she 2!
And here's some pics from our morning outing with the girls. We've been wanting to go to the Richmond Capital Building for some time now, just haven't found the time (or the guts to drag 3 kids along). So with Cole in school, we felt the girls would be more manageable and went. No surprise here, Geof. LOVED it. I liked it too. I sooo appreciate that there's so much to do and see in Richmond (and close by) that's FREE!! We were talking after we left about how bad we felt for now having brought Le Anne to see all the cool things we've seen when she's been out here. Soon, Le Anne (and Ellery??), soon!!!

































































3 Comments:

At 1:24 PM , Blogger Brind+Julia said...

I can't believe June is 2! I remember she was a teeny baby in your arms when we got married. All your kids are gorgeous!

 
At 5:48 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

Great pictures. Sounds like things are going well. Darla, I always felt like online classes were more time consuming, I hated that part of them but I loved not having to actually go to a class. Good luck.

 
At 11:02 AM , Blogger Cortney said...

Looks like fun. What a neat place to live. Good for you to go back to school. Personally, I loved online classes, just loved them. I felt so organized. Figures. Your kids are growing up fast!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home