Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A garden!!!

My beautiful Dayne. Today was a half day and she came home with all sorts of plans to create (as usual)..my Azalea bushed out front are in bloom and Dayne picked at least 10 handfuls and  with them decorated the front yard. And then she came in and used a whole roll of tape (you think I'm joking) and a bunch of glue and threw together three different pieces of art that were taped up to the wall before I could protest. You see, Dayne works swiftly and efficiently (??) before Mom can come in to thwart her plans or progress. But, I caught her today. I stopped her before she finished off that roll of tape. And then I made her clean off the disaster that was our table before the Young Women showed up for our Personal Progress Activity (more on that in a minute..).

You've probably seen the dress June's wearing before. It was mine. There was another dress two sizes smaller that was mine, too. At one point, both girls wore the dresses together to church. So cute. Now there's only one size left that fits-and to June it goes. I found this other dress at thrift and I'm obsessed with it. It kills me that Dayne no longer wants to dress as a little girl. She's SIX!! I remember my mom wanting to dress me as a little girl-in more "traditional" (as she would put it) styles--when I was 13!! Come on, Dayne..just give me a few more years.

Cole's a stud. If you read this post, you'll find out what an incredible runner we have in our family (besides Geof.). I didn't post about it on here.., because I figured I should wait a few days to get some other people posting on here before I did, again (hint, hint).

I was called recently as the Personal Progress leader in our ward. I'm happy to be in Young Womens again. We have a pretty small group. Maybe 13 girls. Most of the time, only 5-8 come to activities. Tonight, our value was "knowledge" and the girls helped me plant a garden! All I did (thanks to an elderly gentleman at the local nursery giving me all the tips!) was find the sunniest spot in my yard, throw some mushroom compost on it (or whatever compost you have, of course--I just haven't started compost in this house, yet), some nice rich soil, and then staple the black gardening fabric down on top (with garden staples). It worked wonders! We did it all in less than 30 minutes. I really, REALLY hope to have some produce this year.

Tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, sweet potatoes, asparagus (remember Nauvoo's asparagus plant?), butternut squash, peppers, and zucchini. Am I forgetting something?

The yw taking the pic didn't realize it was on blurry-mode. It's probably better this way.  ;)


Dayne and June were just thrilled to be able to eat outside and then have some trampoline time with the girls. Please ignore the bikes, fridge, and trash/recycling in the back. Maybe Le Anne will have some ideas for how to hide all that next time we see her?  ;)

Geof. built us a fire so we could enjoy s'mores afterward. Perfect.

2 Comments:

At 9:46 PM , Blogger Mindi said...

That's awesome, D! Congrats on your new calling! Thanks for keeping up the blog, all on your own. I just don't have any pictures to post. Besides, all we do is sit and stare at the wall...ok, no we don't...I'll post.

 
At 8:43 PM , Blogger Meags said...

And darla all I can say its a good thing you don't have a basement or would already be there;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home