Thursday, July 12, 2012

Bat Drac Alive and I Hope Well

I think of all these fun things to post and then never do. When I get on here I feel like I should start way back to when I last posted...That's daunting! I don't know how to do the pictures and am not funny, etc. etc. and so I am defeated before I begin.

So now, new tact....I will just do it and quit whining!

Today I worked for Gerda...just subbing.  It is fun because we get all caught up on things.  So I'm walking down the hall to the kitchen and I notice this dark brown furry thing up on the wall.  I take a closer look and sure enough it is a real live, sound asleep bat! No idea how he got in or why he stayed the night! Someone has to get him out and that would be me! And why not?

I carefully think the whole thing through. How intimidating can something that size be really.  I find a plastic glass big enough to cover the whole thing but small enough that I can hold the end in one hand. It is also just see through enough that I can see the bat but not so clearly that I can see its wee beedy eyes and sharp fangs. I cut the side of a grahm cracker box for a lid. I figured it would be thick enough to hold a scrambling bat for the seconds it would take me to jump off the step stool and run the thing out the door and yet thin enough to slide between the wall and the cup.

I carefully and quietly place the step stool, open the front door, mount the stool and quickly put the cup over the bat and slide the make shift lid into place.

I found out 2 things:  A. When surprised bats poop and
B. They do sound just like Ellynn mimicing them when she describes Brooke driving at night! He was not happy! I felt sorry for him because his one little claw was caught between the glass and the lid...sorry, best I could do.

I was going to gently release him into the wild near a big tree but he was getting ferocious with the-way-too-flimsy lid so I tossed everything into the air! All I saw was his 12 inch wing span and I ran for the house shutting the door firmly behind me before he could "fly into my hair and get all tangled up in it." (Old wives tale, if you are not familiar)

So there's my story! No Shame, You do it!
Sweet Dreams, Don't let the bed bugs or bats bite,
Le Anne

1 Comments:

At 1:11 PM , Blogger Darla said...

Le Anne,
you ARE hilarious. That story was the best. I would have FREAKED Out. Miss you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home