Thursday, January 10, 2013

Happy Birthday Arlene

I have many memories of Arlene and they are all good. She was one of the finest women I have ever known. Her devotion to her family ran about as deep as one could imagine. My first memories were of her amazing work ethic, every time I picked LeAnne up for a date, Arlene was in the back room sewing. So after a full day of work she would come home evry night and sew for her girls and I never heard her complain as for her it was a labor of love.
Several times in the dating process before we got married, Arlene asked me if I was sure I knew what I was getting into by marrying her fiery redhead. I confidently said that I did but now 40 years later I realize that I did not have a clue!
When we had our six babies I looked forward to Arlenes' visits almost as much as I looked forward to the babies. She would come in and pamper all of us and I am sure it was exhausting to her, but again no complaints. It was the only time anyone ever ironed my gym clothes and we probably only would have had 2 kids if we weren't always so spoiled during Arlene's visits.
One of the sadest days of my life was receiving a call from LeAnne while I was in Idaho Falls telling me that she had lost her mother. I couldn't get my mind around it as I knew how devistating the loss was to her 4 girls and their families. I also realized that I had lost a wonderful woman that had become a mother to me.
I think we all wonder what our legacy will be and if we will make a difference during our time on this earth. You don't have to look any further than LeAnne, Jackie, Paula and Joan to understand the magnitude of Arlenes' legacy. Happy birthday Mom and thank you for my fiery redhead.

Ellery

5 Comments:

At 9:55 PM , Blogger Alicia said...

Uncle El. I love you.

 
At 10:13 PM , Blogger Chelsea Covington said...

Love this.

 
At 12:29 AM , Blogger LeAnne said...

I would try to hide the ironing so Mom wouldn't iron Ellery's gym shorts

 
At 5:10 AM , Blogger Joan said...

I love your memories of mom. She was pretty great. She would let us read to her for hours while she sewed. Now I have her sewing machine and think of her often. I loved how she would plant bulbs at our houses. You can still drive by today and see her labor of love! Yep a legacy I'll always cherish.

 
At 5:24 AM , Blogger Darla said...

This is so great! Wish I had known this woman! Some day..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home