Thursday, February 02, 2006

cold and dark

Two days ago we get a notice at work from Utah Power that there will be a "planned power interruption" today from 8:00am to 12:00pm. So it had to be a Thursday. The one day of the week that I am without transportation. My ride on Thursdays is Jordan so I figure that I'll go in on time, (everyone else was coming in when the power was back on), and catch up on some much needed filing in the file room. I hate doing it because everytime I do the phone rings non stop and if you know me you can see my frustration level at being in the middle of something and being interrupted by a phone call. Anyway, I come in at 8:00 and wohoo we still have power. So I start entering a couple of orders and print out an invoice for Kerry when "POP" out goes the power, scared me to death. I waited just a minute for my heart to calm down then decided to go file, but to no avail. I walk into the filing room and it's so dark that I can barely see my hand in front of my face, I figure I can barely read the writing on the invoices in the light (the writing is too small) so there is no way I'm going to figure out what I'm actually filing and where. So I go back to my desk and decide to clean up. I take everything off of my desk and start to dust it using the little bit of light that seeps through my little window, which by the way has a great view of the snow cats, sewage treatment plant and a half dynamited mountain. Then a driver comes up to the door totally relieved to find somebody (he didn't think anyone was around due to all the lights off and no car outside). So I tell him to follow me and we will unload his truck. He follows me back through the filing room and when I look back he's taking little baby steps sideways because he can't see and he doesn't know where he's going. It was pretty funny. So I get him all loaded and come back in to finish cleaning my desk and realize that it's freezing. Well, duh, the fan to the heater can't kick on without power. So I put my coat on and reach down to lift up my little radio to dust underneath it. Just as I grab it "POP" the power comes on and the radio is on full blast, again I was scared to death. That was my interesting morning alone at work in the dark and cold. Now I will have to wait until 5:30 (after closing time for me) for my ride to pick me up and take me home.
Cameron

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home