Wednesday, September 06, 2006

ColoradoBennett




Yesterday Adam came home with a book called "Manifold Destiny: The One! The Only! Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine!" This morning he asked me to pick a recipe out of it and we'd try it on the way up to the camp ground on Friday. I'm thumbing through it now, lots of pictures of engines and diagrams about how you never put any food where it will interfere with the free movement of the accelerator linkage or how you should never use the air-filter housing as a warming oven. The recipes include "Upper-Class Roadkill (venison, shallots, gin, rosemary)", "Thruway Thighs" (leeks, fennel, oysters, chicken thighs), and "Cutlass Cod Supreme". With each recipe it tells you how many miles you need to drive in order to get 'er done. This book with surely come in handy when we take Adam's truck to Adam-ondi-ahman whenever the time comes.
This past weekend Adam took the "scout" camping (two leaders, one scout showed up for the camp-out) and the kids and I went up to my parent's cabin. Something horrible is happening to all the trees in the area around the cabin (I guess it is happening all over Colorado), beetles are killing the trees. Mountains that were once lush with green green forests (one of my favorite sights in the world) are now all turning orange. People have to cut down the trees to keep things looking nice and fight the beetles. My dad has been up on his property logging and last week a tree fell on him. A few days before my mom told him that she was really worried about him and that he should wear a helmet. Good thing he listened. Adam is seriously considering becoming a logger and moving the family to the mtns. Property values are sure to plumet as the area continues to die off. If only someone could come up with a creative use for all the dead trees, she'd be rich beyond her wildest dreams (can you tell I'm thinking). I've included a picture of us at the lake with the orangish mountain in the background (the nice lady next to me is my grandma's sister).
Tristan just started smiling on command. Just in time for the arrival of our first family video camera. I think I saw somewhere that I could put home videos on the blog, I'll keep looking into that (help, Cory?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home