Friday, August 24, 2007

Mike's Blog via my e-mail

Week 2 in Iraq
Well it is interesting to be seeing first hand the subject of all the political talk in the states. Now that I have been into the streets of Baghdad, I can truly say this place is a very complex mess. Not only is it an apocaplyptic warzone, but a place where families like yours and mine are trying to live a life. When you see a little girl face to face here, and you see your own kids in their face, it really makes you aware of the tragedy of war and of evil people. The "human condition" is not so bright in my mind right now.
I try to ignore all the political discussions, but in today's Army you come right off the streets, literally minutes later, into a giant dining facility behind huge concrete fortifications in which you eat cheeseburgers, sip Mountain Dew (or non-alcoholic beer if you choose), and watch ESPN or CNN. Your choice. Oh yeah, stir fry, Baskin Robbins, spaghetti, lasagna, spicy wings, lemon pepper wings, etcetera, etcetera. So while drying my sweat I end up cooling off with a cold Mountain Dew while crisp clean politicians argue over the fate of the child I just saw an hour ago. Not to mention, as a Commander, I get to sit in various venues where I meet leaders at all levels that have a varying sense of understanding of the true problem set. Anyway, I will leave the topic.
I am doing fair. I miss my wonderful family. I love you guys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home