Friday, April 29, 2005

ColoradoBennetts--Chiggers

I really recommend that you DO NOT CAMP in the Florida Keys. It stays a cozy 95 degrees all through the night with 100% humidity. Plus, there are these horrible, microscopic bugs (later we discovered they are called chiggers) that bite like parana. They are so small they fit through the tent screen so there is nothing we could do to keep them out of our tent. It was dark when we were setting camp so I thought we were getting bit by mosquitoes (there were a few of those in our tents too) and that they were really fast because I couldn't ever kill them when I felt the bite. But it turns out I was just hitting the chiggers which were too small to even feel. Bug spray only works for an hour or so and then they would come back with a vengeance. The welts didn't appear in the morning so I thought we were ok. But now, a day later we are all swollen and itching like crazy!!! On the up side, Key West is awesome and we had a great time touristing around. We went to a treasure museum and looked at pirate treasure that Mel Fisher found in the '80s. We had key lime pie and watched all the street performers and the cruise boat tourists. I'm going to try and post some of our pictures on the blog after this. Right now we are in Nashville and it is pouring rain. Isn't there a song about that? We stopped in Chattanooga last night to see the Choo-Choo train. They turned the old train station into a Holiday Inn and now they have hotel rooms on the passenger cars. We didn't stay there, of coarse, but we did eat at their overpriced but beautiful resturant. Sierra loves trains and Kaia loves getting out of the car. We've been driving about 10 hours a day for the past two days and Kaia said she's not going to take it any more. So today we are going to see what we can see in rainy Nashville and Adam says he is up to driving through the night tonight. I love this vacation and I love, love, love my family. Even with the girls in tow it still has been a romantic getaway for Adam and I. Brooke, I hope Ellyn didn't get sick from Sierra. Some how I feel responsible for the spread of any puking illness. Good luck to all the movers and school finalers and baby havin'ers. We love you beecherfamilia!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home