Monday, April 25, 2005

Our fun time with Adam and Mindi-Brooke

This is my chance to get in funny stories before Mindi does. First of all Sierra and Sadie each have very special names for their sandals. Sierra calls them candles and Sadie calls them tonsils. So everywhere we went we had to put on the candles and the tonsils. Our trip to Savannah was very fun. The drive there used to take us 3 1/2 hours. However, with nursing babies, potty trained toddler, everyone's need for constant snacking-which meant stopping at the strawberry fields for shakes-it took us a mere 5 to get there. Saturday we spent our time touring the city. Savannah is beautiful. The historic area is built around 25 squares. Each square either has a monument or a fountain or a cemetary or something of that nature. Each one is filled with grass and benches and gorgeous old trees draped in spanish moss. Everyone is out walking their dogs (way too many pitbulls for my taste). At the far end of the historic district is a park with a huge fountain. It is beautiful. We saw three different brides there and also a fraternity and a sorority dressed in old southern belle hooped dresses and confederate soldiers' uniforms. Thinking how neat it was and maybe they were in costume for a play or prom or something we took all the kids over to look at the dresses. Just in time for the kids to break out their booze and ciggs. Great. From downtown Savannah we left for our favorite restaurant, The Crab Shack. It is an indoor/outdoor restaurant built on a pier over the grassy, marshy, waterways that make up much of the coast near Savannah (I feel like I should be giving a lecture right now). Well there were a million cars there and I was afraid it would be forever until we got in, BUT we were crazy enough to sit outside (it was unseasonably cool at 55 degrees or so) so we got right in. Within minutes Sadie had dumped over my glass of ice water onto my lap. Refreshing. Then the bottom popped off the bottom of Sierra's cup. Luckily no casualties. A few minutes later Sadie spilled some of her chowder. Already traumatized from spilling the water she immediately blamed her accident on Sierra. Very funny. We all chowed down on chowder and sausage and shellfish and listened to Jimmy Buffet and the like. It was fabulous. The next morning Jane had a lovely breakfast of shrimp, strawberries, and Krispy Kreme donuts. The rest of us had the same thing sans the shrimp. We ate Twizzlers and fruit snacks and fish and chips and all of that was evident the first time Sierra threw up- under the table at Captain D's. Mindi took her back to clean her up, after a few minutes we hear a huge thud coming from the bathroom area followed by crying. Sierra had tripped over Mindi's foot and fallen head first into the bathroom door. So sad, but kind of funny to hear from the other side of the door. So we had a wonderful time and already miss the Colorado Bennetts greatly. The first thing Sadie said this morning when she woke up was "Where's my Kaia Jane?"
I know I'm leaving lots out like when Sierra and Sadie both scaled the rock wall at the park like little lizards and how fun it was to watch Kaia and Ellyn sit next to each other and visit. But between Mindi and I we will I'm sure get more in.

So last night we came home and I force fed my children vegetables. This morning I had an MRI for my back. I asked three different times if it mattered if I was nursing because they were using contrast. No, no, and aha finally the tech-Yes. So without any warning Ellyn can't nurse for 24 hours. She hasn't been too happy about it and I am not looking forward to tonight. That four o'clock feeding is just going to be torture or I'm going to call it close enough to count. Okay, I think that is enough for now. Darla, by the way my floors are completely lacquered. I do nothing to them but vacuum and mop so don't you stress. Did you get moved or is that next weekend? Alicia, I feel your moving pain. I can't tell you how many times we have moved and Mike has had to be out in the field right away. I think it is a conspiracy. Auntie Jack, maybe this summer I will come get some cookies.

Love, Brooke

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home