Thursday, September 01, 2005

ColoradoBennett-fruit trees

So Adam got home from his biking adventure last night at about midnight and said, "I think a lot of people are upset with me right now." His poor boys probably had to get up around 5 to make it to seminary and school. But he said they all had a great time. The Young Women and I ended up going door-to-door in the neighborhood surrounding the church asking for donation items for hurricane victims. I had the girls do all the talking and sometimes they would talk really fast and nervous and the people would look at me like "what the heck did she just say and why are you on my porch?" But one family was very kind and gave us a lot for our little hygiene packets.
So a few weeks ago my grandpa came back from Utah with a bunch of apricots from the 100 year-old trees his grandfather had planted in Hayden, Utah. The story is that in 1905 o' Hyrum Gurr was homesteading and in order to lay claim on an extra 160 acres he had to prove that he was "improving" the land. So amongst buildings and farming he planted three apricot trees. One day he went into town and saw a horse with three small trees tied to it. He went into the store and asked "who's horse is that and where did you get those trees?" A man spoke up and said that he found them and Hyrum Gurr made that man get back on his horse and replant the apricot trees back on his land. So anyway, those trees are still there. My grandpa's uncle, Beryl, was able to grow a apricot tree in his yard from the seeds of the original trees, so I'm going to try the same. At first I just put them in some pots with some dirt and started to water but then I looked up fruit seed growing on the internet and found that it is much more complicated than that. I had to did the seeds out of the dirt, wash them off, let them dry, and now they have to sit in the fridge until mid-January afterwhich I cover them in sand then put them back in the fridge for 60 days and then plant them in the dirt. Long process, but I'm very excited. My parents have a grapefruit tree growing in their house that is about 4 Ft. tall. My great-grandpa Jack, who is now 98, started growing the tree from a seed he got out of his morning grapefruit a few years ago. So anyway, I'm taking up a new hobby here and one day I'll have acres and acres of fruit trees growing on my happy little tree farm. Just hide and watch. Blogout...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home