Friday, May 04, 2012

Family Food

Adam put an audio book on my ipod titled "The Food of a Younger Land". The author came across a manuscript of a WWII era book titled "America Eats". The manuscript is a collection of recipes and stories from each region of America. I've been learning about what Vermont housewives were cooking up in the '40s, the heated debate over the correct way to make clam chowder (tomatoes or cream?), the inner workings of the maple syrup industry, etc. My favorite was when the author listed off definitions of words used in the diner days. If my kitchen were a diner at this time period, I would be the "greeser" yelling "take it away" after filling each plate with fodder (or feed). I'd make Bulls Eyes (2 fried eggs) and serve a "Jersey Cocktail" (milk, also called "Baby"), but Kaia would much rather have "sinkers" (doughnuts) for breakfast. Lunch is usually a Toast Witch (sandwich, also called "3 Decker"). Dinner is served with "Whistle Berries" (beans) and "Snow Apples" (mushrooms). Then for dessert the kids request "Houseboats" (banana splits, also called "The Works") with "Stack of Berry or Stack of Vanilla" (ice cream). Then all the children happily take on the roll of "Bottle Washer" (dish washer). Haha.

So I was thinking we should have a few blogs dedicated to some family recipes. This idea was solidified today when Darla sent a text with one of her amazing recipes. I want to know what you guys are eating. I'd like to dedicate a meal each week as "Family Food Night" so I can say to the kids "this is what your cousins are eating". This info is important for our posterity :).
We usually make up a big batch of pancakes on the weekends to have as quick breakfasts during the week. I'm always trying to hide healthy stuff in the pancake batter. This last batch I put in a bunch of chia seeds and blended it all up. That was a "fail". Here is the basic recipe we use:
"Bewitching Blueberry Pancakes" (this comes from the back cover of my favorite childhood book "Old Black Witch" by Wende and Harry Devlin)
2 1/2 c flour (usually half wheat/half white flour)
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cup milk (I use water)
 1/2 oil or butter
1 cup blueberries (or chocolate chips, or banana slices, or walnuts, or whatever)
Mindi's sneaky add-ins: flax seeds, coconut milk, nuts, etc.

7 Comments:

At 8:44 PM , Blogger LeAnne said...

Sounds fun! I loved hiding stuff and the best way to do it was in a shake of some kind. I used to mix grated carrots and potatos in the hamburger patties. You always think of fun things to do. Was it dinner days or diner days? I have never heard of dinner days. That was fun and interesting. I never would have thought to read something like that.

 
At 9:14 PM , Blogger LeAnne said...

I wish we were there to cheer you on. Good Luck! and thanks for the recipe!

 
At 8:30 PM , Blogger Mindi said...

Haha, I misspelled diner, thanks LeAnne! :)

 
At 10:12 PM , Blogger Meags said...

I'm in I'll share some.

 
At 12:45 PM , Blogger Brooke said...

Mindi, I have been thinking about family recipes a great deal lately. I have recipes I use in all of my cookbooks and on line and I have been thinking about consolidating them and starting to put together a cookbook for my kids. I have started having Jane cook more complicated dishes lately and discussing food prep and cost etc... with her. I can't believe that in a little more than three years my girl will be out on her own! I've got some really great recipes right now. It is pretty much international night every night at our house. Last night was spaghetti with a homemade bolognese sauce, tonight is korean short ribs, tomorrow we will reheat some Indian curry I made last week and froze half of it. I have decided the way to keep me entertained with making dinner is to try new things all the time, try to keep them healthy, and really develop my kids' pallets. It's pretty fun. We have a good time. You and Meagan and Darla have been great inspirations for me!

 
At 2:32 PM , Blogger Mindi said...

That is awesome, Brooke. I'm seriously considering doing a schedule like: Mon=Mexican, Tue=Italian, Wed=Asian, Thur=Food Storage, Fri=Kid's choice, Sat=Leftovers/Fend for Yourself, Sun=Family Recipe

 
At 7:34 AM , Blogger Ellynn said...

What Brooke? I'm not a great cooking inspiration to you?!! I'm crushed!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home