Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Eat to Run

Way to go, Ellynn! I ran 5 miles this morning and I'm looking forward to 12 on Saturday. Can't believe I hated running 6 months ago, now I can't get enough. I realize that I'm a big dork; when I decided to get into running I also had to read as much as I could about running. Then reading about running wasn't enough, so I started reading about what to eat while training and how to cross train and everything that should be done to avoid injury, ect. So in addition to running 4 days a week, I'm biking 3 days a week, weight training 3 days a week, and doing yoga at least once a week. As far as eating, I've never felt so good as when I'm on the cross fit zone eating plan (although I cheat all the time because I don't have enough self-control/self-discipline):
http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/cfjissue21_May04.pdf

http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200601/fitness-grains.html
I just have to keep telling myself that I'm working too hard to let it all go to waste by eating badly. Here is a great recipe I discovered and tried on Sunday:
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/moroccan-sweet-potato-stew
I added about half the spices and plan to add chicken to the stew next time (we had a vegetarian over so I thought I was doing good serving her this dish, except later I discovered I poisoned her by using chicken broth. She never said anything, though).

Here are a few more websites I found helpful/interesting:

http://www.marathonguide.com/training/articles/MandBFuelOnFat.cfm


http://www.hornetjuice.com/whats-the-perfect-workout-to-burn-fat.html

http://choosecherries.com/Uploads/Content/Red%20Recovery%20Routine%20FINAL.pdf

Then a favorite salad recipe from RW:

Great Grain Salad

2 cups-Brown rice, whole wheat pasta, quinoa, bulgur, barley, wild rice, or couscous

1 cup--Chicken, turkey, eggs, beef, pork, any kind of beans, tofu, or tempeh

1/4 cup-Feta, cheddar, Swiss, Jack, Parmesan, or cottage cheese

2 cups--Broccoli, cucumber, tomato, carrots, corn, peppers, celery, snap peas, or green beans

1/4 to 1/2 cup--almonds, walnuts, pine nuts, flax seed, wheat germ (vit E may reduce muscle soreness), basil, mint, dried blueberries, or goji berries.

Mix and match and eat.

Also, Runner's World has some tutorial videos online that are pretty good:

http://www.runnersworld.com/video/1,8052,s6-6-0-2,00.html?bcpid=2884340001&bclid=1504353735&bctid=64041958001&cm_mmc=training-_-2010_03_23-_-training-_-VIDEO%3a%20Build%20Better%20Legs
They have a 30 minute "Core Values" workout you can buy for $7.99 on iTunes. I like it because it is more than just abs, lots of stretches and arms and legs. Plus they say things like: "doing this video will improve your running times, prevent injury, and {make you awesome}." I believe anything I read/see/hear, therefore I believe RW.

6 Comments:

At 10:00 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

What the "H" Mindi!?!? How do you do it all?!?! Seriously??? You are amazing! Keep up the good work girl.

 
At 10:41 PM , Blogger Brind+Julia said...

I agree! HOW do you do it all!? Way to go!

 
At 10:48 PM , Blogger Ellynn said...

I've come to the conclusion that Mindi is not really a human. She's a Cyborg. That's why she can do eveything and do it perfectly. I love you Mindi and you inspire me to be better at EVERYTHING!

 
At 11:20 PM , Blogger Meags said...

yay mindi i will live through you. you are my hero, but i agree with elly you can't be human. can anyone really be so good at everything. wow i love you!!!

 
At 6:44 AM , Blogger Mindi said...

I've got you all fooled. I almost deleted that post several times last night because it reveals my fanatical nature. But really, I work out before the kids wake-up or after they are in bed. I started a run club with a babysitting exchange and that's how I fit runs in during the day (it helps so much to run with friends!).

 
At 9:28 AM , Blogger Cortney said...

Well shoot, I feel lazy and worthless. But thanks for all this information!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home