Saturday, January 12, 2013

Fry that bad boy

I feel like this is my only safe place to write about my new pride, and albeit illegal, joy. Kev and the kids bought 6 chicks this summer while I was at a baby shower. They all knew it was their only chance. They texted me a picture of themselves at the farm store, allowance money and chicks in hand, fists pumping toward heaven. Ridiculous. Anyway, they've been a tremendous pain in the arse, what with the constant nagging of the children to feed and water them. Lately their water is totally frozen each day and I was starting to wonder if I would eventually wake up to them being dead. Not to mention they should be laying by now. This prompted me to wonder if all the little suckers were, in fact, roosters. I was on the verge of putting them in the paper for free. Oh yes, and they're illegal. We don't have enough square footage to allow for them. We decided we'd look for forgiveness rather than permission. Anyway, one of those little cheepers finally laid an egg. I feel so at one with the universe. I feel like my life has come full circle. I am raising something that can feed me. It's weirdly empowering. "I don't need the government and their oppressive laws! I've got guns and egg-laying chickens! Take that Uncle Sam!" Then we fried it and, after a frankly ridiculous amount of self-talk, I ate it. Amazing. It was like I was finally tasting what an egg was supposed to taste like my whole life. Anyway, that's about it. Just thought I'd share. If the others turn out to be hens as well, everyone's invited over for omelettes.

9 Comments:

At 6:19 PM , Blogger Jacki said...

Way to go!!!

 
At 6:50 PM , Blogger Chelsea Covington said...

This is fantastic.

 
At 7:10 PM , Blogger Darla said...

Send this in to your local paper. They'll pay you. It's just so great! And I'm jealous you've got hens. Someday..I tell myself.

 
At 5:55 AM , Blogger Joan said...

Love your stories!

 
At 11:57 PM , Blogger LeAnne said...

Hillarious! Kev already makes the best scrambled eggs ever! I can hardly wait for an omlet from a gun-toting-I've-got-egg-laying-chickens-in-my-backyard-so-there-Rebel! You can happily sing Circle of Life from the LIon King as I eat and the sheriff hauls Kev and your kids off to jail all the while waving the incriminating picture as evidence of the crime and Scarlett is trying to explain something about permission/forgiveness.....?

 
At 12:29 PM , Blogger Ellynn said...

I love everything about this! I really want chickens myself one day. And if Jason has his way, we too will be firearm owning Americans as well!

 
At 9:41 PM , Blogger Mindi said...

I've been thinking about this post for days and days. I've decided that A) we need to live right next to you so we can enjoy your profound humor daily, and B) I really really really want chickens and rabbits, just like you (but wait, if I live next door I can enjoy chickens and rabbits without actually having to care for them. Hummmmm...

 
At 7:10 AM , Blogger Alicia said...

Thanks guys. Mindi, you know that would be my dream: chickens, bees, a windmill, a milk cow, gardens, a clothes line, a well, and the Bennett's (don't forget Ooblecki or whatever you call that big beautiful jar of Nutella). What else could we possibly need? Just the rest of my cousins....

 
At 5:47 PM , Blogger LeAnne said...

AND Aunts...right?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home