Thursday, November 03, 2005

ColoradoBennett-Book Club and OC


I'm sitting at the computer, pretending not to listen to the OC that Adam is watching. Dang that devil-of-a-TV-show-that-sucks-me-into-these-crazy-California-lives. So I had my second book club meeting tonight. We talked about "The History of Joseph Smith by His Mother" and I really, really recommend you read the unabridged version because it talks in detail about the controversy surrounding Mother Smith's book. When it was first published, Brigham Young called it "filthy lies" and told all members to send their copies of the book back. Later he softened up and helped the book get published again (there are actually 15 different publications). Anyway, I love Mother Smith and hope to be just like her when I grow up. My first step is to work on my "take charge" voice. The Book Club meeting was quite a scene. I just love hearing the insights that each person has into something because of the experiences they have been blessed with in this life. The two most opinionated ladies got into an argument for about 10 minutes and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to change the subject and get them to stop. It was always a battle of who could talk louder and I always lost, surprise? But at the end of the argument they both realized they had exactly the same point. Then just when I thought I had the meeting wrapped up and all of them headed out the door at 8:30, one lady tells us that her doctor told her that she only has 4 months to live. It was amazing what compassionate and loving words of comfort came from the other women. A wonderful conversation emerged about how to best spend our time here on earth (I thought I should add blogging to that list, but I decided to keep my mouth shut) and it was a very memorable moment. I guess there are those of us who look forward to the next life, even if we will miss our loved ones that we leave behind, and there are those who think any endurance of mortal misery is mush preferred to death.
Oh, they just talked about "Craig's List" on the OC. Another reason to watch I guess.
Bloggerfornia, here we come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home